WhatsApp is one of the most popular instant messaging apps in the world. We like WhatsApp because of its convenience when it comes to communication. With WhatsApp, we can easily send texts and share any files.
It is also easy to delete unwanted messages if we need to change the details or when we send them to the wrong group. If you don't want others to see this deleted message, you may be wondering: can WhatsApp messages be traced after deleted? This guide will tell you all the info you want to know.
Can WhatsApp messages be traced after deleted?
Can WhatsApp messages be traced once deleted? Well, it's possible. WhatsApp messages can be traced after deleted but may not be possible in all cases. Let's learn more about what happens after you delete a message.
● Actually, when you delete WhatsApp or any other files from your phone, they don't really disappear. Those deleted files are just marked as free space, waiting to be overwritten by new data. As long as they are not overwritten by new data, then it is possible for data recovery software to find them. This is true for both your phone and the recipient's phone.
● In addition, the deleted WhatsApp can be recovered via the WhatsApp backup. If the recipient has made a backup before you delete the message, then she or he can easily get back the deleted messages.
In short, the fact is that the deleted WhatsApp messages can be recovered by you and the recipient. It’s possible to recover deleted WhatsApp messages via backup or WhatsApp recovery software.
Can deleted WhatsApp messages be traced by police?
Well, there is no definitive answer to this question. It depends on the specific situation. But in general, if the police do not have your or the recipient’s account, then it is not possible to recover those deleted messages. After all, the messages are deleted from the device, not from the server.
By the way, if the police have a warrant, they can request your messages from WhatsApp company but usually they will let you know. If law enforcement obtains a court order, they can access old, unread email without telling you.
How to permanently delete WhatsApp messages
Now you know the answer to "can WhatsApp messages be traced after deleted”. Next, I’ll show you how to permanently delete WhatsApp messages on Android phone and iPhone. You can try these methods on your and the recipient's phone.
Tip 1. Permanently delete WhatsApp messages on device
On an iPhone:
Open WhatsApp > Tap the Chats tab > Swipe left on the chat you want to delete > Tap More > Tap Clear Chat > Tap Delete to confirm.
To delete all WhatsApp chats: go to Settings > Chats and tap Clear All Chats to delete all chats on your device.
On an Android phone:
Go to the chat you want to delete > Tap the three-dots icon > Choose Clear Chat > Choose Clear Chat to confirm.
To delete all chats: Open WhatsApp > Tap the three-dots icon > Go to Settings > Chats > Chat history > Choose Clear all chats > Tap CLEAR CHATS to confirm.
Tip 2. Permanently delete WhatsApp backups
On an iPhone:
Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Choose WhatsApp Messenger > Tap Delete Data.
You can also go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > Find WhatsApp and toggle off the green button.
On an Android phone:
Delete local backup files: Open the file manager app > Go to internal storage or SD card > Choose WhatsApp folder > Tap and hold the Databases folder > Tap Delete option.
Delete backups in Google Drive: Open Google Drive > Go to Main Menu > Choose Backups > Tap the three-dots icon next to the backup > Choose Delete Backup and tap Delete to confirm.
Tip 3. Delete WhatsApp account
You can also choose to delete your WhatsApp account. When you delete your WhatsApp account, your phone number will be separated from your WhatsApp account and you will be removed from your friends’ WhatsApp contact list.
In addition, you will not able to recover your chats from the backup. Just like you never ever existed on it.
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone or iPhone.
2. Go to Settings > Choose Account > Tap Delete My Account.
3. Enter your phone number to confirm > Tap Delete My Account and your account will be deleted from WhatsApp.
Can WhatsApp messages be traced after deleted? Well, if the deleted messages have not been overwritten by new data or there is a backup, then it is possible to retrieve them. If you don't want to anyone to see deleted messages anymore, you can try to delete WhatsApp chats and WhatsApp backups from your device.
FoneTool Can Do More for You
- Manage Phone Data In One Place
- iPhone Transfer
- iPhone Backup
- iPhone Data Recovery
- Erase iPhone Data
- HEIC Converter
- Photo Duplication
- WhatsApp Backup and Transfer
- FoneTool is Compatible with All iOS
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max),
- iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus,
- iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad