Want to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10/11?
Since your computer has much more space than your phone, you may often transfer your photos to your computer as backup. When it comes to preserving memories, these photos have an outstanding contribution. However, as time goes by, it’s easy to end up with duplicate photos.
Why do you have duplicate photos on Windows?
Photos transferred from cell phone usually have a lot of duplicate images. After all, you usually press the shutter multiple times to get the perfect composition or the right light. On the one hand, they may also crop up due to multiple backups and downloads of the same file or file sharing.
Why do you need to delete duplicate photos Windows 10?
Those duplicate photos are basically junk files. They not only make it difficult to manage photo library but also take up unnecessary storage space. Worst of all, they slow down your computer system and affect your computer's performance. For a better user experience, it is necessary to clean duplicate photos regularly.
It is quite common to have duplicate photos on computer. Fortunately, it is not a difficult task to find and delete duplicate photos on Windows PC. Just keep reading to see how to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10 quickly.
How to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10/11
There is no built-in tool to find or clean up duplicate pictures in Windows 10. You can try File Explorer or Photos app to find the duplicates manually but the process can be time-consuming. To save time and energy, you can use Duplicate Photo Cleaner for PC to find out all duplicate photos with one click. Let’s start to see how to find and delete duplicate photos in Windows 10 with these tools.
Way 1. How to find and delete duplicate photos in Windows 10 via FoneTool
You can manually find and delete duplicate photos on Windows 10. However, it can take a lot of time, especially if you have a large photo library. Instead of wasting time comparing the photos, you can use duplicate photo cleaner to find all duplicate photos with one click.
If you happen to own an iPhone, then FoneTool can be the best choice. It is one professional iPhone data management tool for Windows PC. Its Photo Deduplication feature can help you find duplicate images on your computer and iPhone.
Click the download button to get FoneTool and see how to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10/11 quickly. This tool also works well on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
1. Run FoneTool > Click Toolbox in the left pane > Choose Photo Deduplication.
2. Click Scan Computer option.
3. Click Add Folder and select the folders you want to scan > Click Start scanning.
4. When the scan is finished, you can see all the duplicate photos on your computer > Choose the unwanted photos and click Delete button.
You can choose Migrate to button to move the selected photos to USB flash drive/external hard drive and these photos will also be deleted from the source folder.
Way 2. How to find and delete duplicate photos in Windows 10 via File Explorer
Although File Explorer does not offer a feature to find duplicate photos, there are some tricks to get it to show duplicate photos. Read to see how to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10 in File Explorer.
1. Press Windows key and E key to open File Explorer.
2. Go to the folder that contains your photos > Type kind in the search field box > Choose Picture.
If needed, you can specify the image format. If you it to show all the JPG image, you can type “kind:=picture type:jpg”.
3. Go to View tab > Click the Extra large icons or Large icons option > Click Details pane > Then click Sort by and choose Sort by Size or Name.
4. Preview and compare photos > Check the photos and select the unwanted ones> Right-click them and choose Delete option.
Warning! Never search the system folders such as Program Files, Windows and PerfLog. It is not safe to delete anything in these folders including the duplicates.
Way 3. How to find and delete duplicate photos in Windows 10 via Photos app
Photos app is one picture management tool in Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 11 that helps you organize and view your pictures. This tool offers many useful features such as cropping images or fixing red-eye. Let’s find out how to remove duplicate photos on Windows 10 with Photos app.
1. Go to Settings in Microsoft Photos > Turn off Linked duplicates. Otherwise, it will not show you the duplicate photos.
2. Open Photos app > Choose the Collection tab.
3. Find the duplicate photos > Select the photos you want to delete > Click the Delete button.
4. Click Delete to confirm in the dialog box.
That’s all about how to delete duplicate photos on Windows 10/11. You can go to File Explorer or Photos app to find duplicates yourself, or let FoneTool help you quickly find all the duplicate photos with one click.
If you often transfer photos from iPhone to computer as backup, you can delete duplicate photos on your phone to make things simple.
FoneTool Can Do More for You
- Manage Phone Data In One Place
- iPhone Transfer
- iPhone Backup
- iPhone Data Recovery
- Erase iPhone Data
- HEIC Converter
- Photo Duplication
- WhatsApp Backup and Transfer
- FoneTool is Compatible with All iOS
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max),
- iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus,
- iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad