Can you get back deleted chats on WhatsApp?
The answer is YES! If you accidentally delete some important messages, don't worry! The messages you deleted are not really gone, you still have a chance to get them back. Generally speaking, you can recover deleted WhatsApp chat in two ways.
Way 1. Recover deleted WhatsApp chat from backup. If you have automatic backup turned on, then maybe the backup contains the chats you need. In this case, you can reinstall WhatsApp to restore that backup to get back your deleted chats.
Way 2. Recover deleted WhatsApp chat via data recovery app. If there is no backup or the backup does not contain the chat you need, then you can turn to a WhatsApp recovery app. As long as your chat logs are not overwritten by new data, then data recovery software can help you find them.
Below, I’ll show you all the details about how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on iPhone and Android.
Part 1. How to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on iPhone
WhatsApp knows that chats are important to you, so it provides a solution to back up your chats and allows you to restore the backup at any time. To verify that an iCloud backup exists, you can go to Settings of WhatsApp > Chats > Chat Backup.
It will show the last backup completion time. If the backup was done before you deleted the chat, there is a good chance that it contains the chat you need. Just follow the steps below to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on iPhone.
1. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
2. Open WhatsApp > Follow the prompts to verify your account.
3. When WhatsApp finds your backup, tap Restore Chat History to continue > When the process is complete, tap Next and you can start using Whats App. (It will continue restoring media files in the background.)
- Make sure iCloud Drive is turned on.
- WhatsApp backup can only be restored to the same account. You need to sign in with the same Apple ID you used to create the backup and use the same phone number. (You cannot restore chat history from another WhatsApp account.)
- There must be enough free space on both your iCloud and iPhone. The free space in your iCloud and iPhone should be at least 2.05 times larger than the backup.
Part 2. How to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on Android
On an Android phone, WhatsApp has a dual-backup system that saves your messages to your phone as well as the cloud. That’s to say, your messages will be stored on your phone’s internal storage and Google Drive. Let’s start to see how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on Android.
Way 1. How to recover deleted WhatsApp chat from Google Drive
If you have backed up WhatsApp with Google Drive, then you may want to know how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat from Google Drive. You can first go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup and check when the backup was done. If you think the backup contains the chat you need, then you can follow the steps below to restore that backup.
1. Delete and reinstall WhatsApp.
2. Open WhatsApp and verify your account.
3. When WhatsApp finds the backup, tap Restore > Tap Next when the restoration is complete.
Way 2. How to recover deleted WhatsApp chat from local backup
WhatsApp will create a local backup every day at 2:00 AM. If there is an SD card, then the backup will be saved to SD card. If not, the backup will be saved to internal storage.
You can open the file manager app > go to internal Storage (or SD card) > WhatsApp > Databases to view the backup files. By default, WhatsApp will restore the latest backup file named msgstore.db.crypt12. If you want to restore a previous one, you can rename the file - delete the date in the name.
Here are the steps to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on Android via local backup.
1. Go to Google Drive app and delete WhatsApp backup files. WhatsApp restores a local backup only when there is no backup in Google Drive.
2. Reinstall WhatsApp > Open the app and verify your account.
3. Tap Restore when WhatsApp finds the backup.
Part 3. How to recover deleted WhatsApp chat without backup
When there is a backup, you can uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp to recover the deleted chats. However, what if there is no backup or the backup does not contain the chat you need? In addition, restoring a backup will delete your existing chats, is there a way to restore only the deleted messages?
If you want to know how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat without backup, then WhatsApp recovery software is the answer. Chances are that the deleted messages are still on your phone - they are just marked as free space, waiting to be overwritten by new data. You cannot see them but the data recovery app can help you find them.
Here we take iMyFone ChatsBack as an example to show you how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat without backup. This app allows you to recover deleted chats to phone and computer.
1. Launch the tool on your computer > Plug in your iPhone or Android phone > Choose Device Storage.
2. For iPhone: Select WhatsApp Messager and click OK. For Android phone: Select Start and enter your phone number to verify your account > Then the tool will start scanning your device.
3. When scanning, find and choose the deleted messages > Click Recover to Device or Recover to PC.
When you accidentally delete some important chats, there are two ways to recover them. You can reinstall WhatsApp to restore the backup that contains the messages you need. Or you can use a WhatsApp recovery app to scan your device and find the deleted messages. Hope you have a clear understanding of how to recover deleted WhatsApp chat on iPhone and Android phone!
FoneTool Can Do More for You
- Manage Phone Data In One Place
- iPhone Transfer
- iPhone Backup
- iPhone Data Recovery
- Erase iPhone Data
- HEIC Converter
- Photo Duplication
- WhatsApp Backup and Transfer
- FoneTool is Compatible with All iOS
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max),
- iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus,
- iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad