[Complete Guide] SMS Backup and Restore Android to iPhone
This guide will tell you how to do “SMS backup and restore Android to iPhone”. Besides, you will also learn about other ways to transfer SMS and other files.
Want to do SMS backup and restore Android to iPhone?
Transferring data from Android to iPhone can be quite a challenge, as the two phones operate on different systems. This holds true for transferring messages from Android to iOS devices as well. It becomes even more complicated when your smartphone contains a significant amount of vital information, such as messages.
However, there's no need to worry! This article aims to provide you with some effective methods to successfully transfer messages from Android phone to your brand-new iPhone, be it the latest iPhone 14 or the previous models like iPhone 13 and more. Just keep reading to learn more about SMS backup and restore from Android to iPhone.
Does SMS backup and restore work from Android to iPhone?
Indeed, transferring data directly between an Android phone and an iPhone can be challenging due to the distinct operating systems they utilize. Does SMS backup and restore work from Android to iPhone? Fortunately, the answer is Yes!
Although Android and iPhone platforms differ, the SMS Backup & Restore app offers a workaround. It allows you to synchronize your messages to your Gmail account via the internet, making it possible to access the saved message files on your iPhone.
To achieve this, begin by downloading the SMS Backup & Restore app from Google Play Store onto your Android device. Then, you can sync your Android text messages from Gmail to your iPhone. Once the synchronization is complete, you can conveniently view your Android messages by signing into the same Gmail account on your iPhone or utilizing a compatible program designed to read them.
SMS backup and restore Android to iPhone
To facilitate the viewing of files such as text messages, call history, and MMS, SMS Backup & Restore app utilizes the XML file format. However, it is important to note that you should download this app on both phones to ensure its full functionality.
At present, SMS Backup & Restore does not support iOS devices. Nevertheless, you can still obtain a copy of your SMS by accessing the backup storage location, which can be OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Drive. From there, you can view the XML file format containing your messages. Although downloading the messages in the same SMS file settings may not be possible, you have the convenience of viewing them at any time.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do SMS backup and restore Android to iPhone.
- Download and install the SMS Backup & Restore app on both your Android phone and iPhone.
- Launch the app on your Android device and tap on the Backup option > Enable the Messages toggle for the Backup option.
- Select the desired backup location and configure the backup settings. You can choose Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or local backup (device storage). For this example, we will use Google Drive.
- Create a dedicated folder in your chosen backup location for storing the backup >Tap on Save to initiate the backup process.
- Now, on your iPhone device, open the SMS Backup & Restore app.
- Access the settings either through the Settings option > Tap on the Restore option.
- Under the Restore Backup screen, locate the backup location. The app will automatically detect your backup and prompt you to select it.
- Select the Messages category and proceed with the Restore operation > Once the SMS restoration process is completed, you can close the app.
Other ways to transfer SMS and other files from Android to iPhone
You can also use SMS+ to perform text message backup and restore Android to iPhone. SMS Backup+ is a convenient tool that allows for the easy transfer of text messages from an Android phone to an iPhone. It automatically backs up text messages, MMS, and call history on your Android device, exporting the backup files via Gmail and Google Calendar.
This application is free and open source, providing users with a user-friendly experience. However, it is worth mentioning that some users have reported issues with the backup process after recent changes in Google and Gmail settings. Nonetheless, it is still worth giving SMS Backup+ a try.
To utilize SMS Backup+, follow these steps:
- Download and install SMS Backup+ on your Android phone > Sign in to your Gmail account.
- On Gmail, locate and click on "Settings" in the upper-right corner > Select the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.
- Under "IMAP Access" choose the "Enable IMAP" option > Click on "Save Changes".
- Launch SMS Backup+ app and tap on "Connect" when prompted for a Google account > Sign in using the same Gmail account you recently accessed.
- Locate and tap on "Backup". This will save and transfer your text messages to your Gmail account.
- To download the SMS backup on your iPhone, open your Gmail account > Find the SMS backup in your Inbox > Download the backup file.
Easily transfer other files from Android to iPhone
If you want to transfer other files like photos, videos, contacts, etc. from Android to iPhone, then you can use the FoneTool app.
This app provides a seamless and convenient solution for wireless file transfer from Android to iPhone. An exceptional feature of FoneTool is its ability to perform transfers without the need for a Wi-Fi network connection, eliminating data consumption.
This user-friendly app ensures a smooth and efficient wireless transfer experience between Android and iPhone devices. You can download the app from the Google Play Store and App Store. Let's take a look at how to transfer photos from Android to iPhone wirelessly using this app:
- Download and install the FoneTool app from the App Store on both your Android phone and iPhone.
- Open the FoneTool app on both devices and grant the tool permission to use WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network).
- Navigate to the Connect Device option within the FoneTool app and select the name of the desired device to establish a connection. This can be done from either the Android phone or the iPhone.
- On your Android phone, go to the File Transfer section and choose the specific files, such as photos and videos that you want to transfer to your iPhone. Once selected, click Send to initiate the transfer process.
As you can see, with FoneTool, you can easily share files from Android to iPhone. Actually, FoneTool also has one desktop app for Windows users, which can help you easily transfer data between iPhone and PC. If needed, you can click the download button to get FoneTool and give it a try.
That’s all about SMS backup and restore from Android to iPhone. It's important to note that while certain apps may be effective for this task, there can be limitations due to the fact that iOS does not inherently support seamless data transfers from Android devices. You can only view the text messages on your iPhone.
FoneTool - All-in-one iPhone Data Manager
Transfer, backup and manage data on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in an easy way.
- iOS 17 Compatible
- iPhone 15 Supported