[5 Ways] How to Restore WhatsApp Chats on iPhone
This guide will show you how to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone, including the methods to restore WhatsApp chats on new iPhone, restore WhatsApp chats without iCloud, restore WhatsApp chats from Google Drive.
WhatsApp is the most popular instant messaging app in the world because of its convenience when it comes to communication. In addition, it provides a way to backup WhatsApp to ensure data security. When you accidentally lose important data or want to get a new iPhone, you can easily restore the backup to get the chat history you need.
Here in this guide, I’ll show you how to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone. In addition to the regular method, other methods to restore WhatsApp on iPhone will also be discussed. Hope you will find a method that to restore WhatsApp chat history successfully. Here we go!
Way 1. How to restore WhatsApp backup on iPhone
Usually, you can go to Settings of WhatsApp > Chats > Chat Backup to backup WhatsApp chats with iCloud. In this way, you can restore the backup when you want to recover deleted messages or want to restore WhatsApp chats on new iPhone.
If you want to know how to restore WhatsApp chats on new iPhone, this way can be your first choice.
1. Make sure you have signed in to the Apple ID you use to create the backup.
2. Delete and reinstall WhatsApp on your iPhone.
3. Open WhatsApp and enter your number to verify your account.
4. Tap Restore Chat History to restore the backup on iPhone.
Way 2. How to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone without backup
iCloud only offers each user 5GB of free storage space. If you cannot complete your backup due to insufficient space, you may want to know how to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone without backup. In this case, you can use WhatsApp transfer software such as FoneTool.
● FoneTool can help you transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to new iPhone directly, which means you don't have to spend time backing up WhatsApp.
● FoneTool supports data transfer between different Apple IDs. It is also a good choice if you want to transfer WhatsApp from one Apple ID to another.
You can click the download button to get FoneTool and follow the steps below to transfer WhatsApp chat to new iPhone.
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect your two iPhones to computer via the USB cables.
2. After FoneTool has recognized your iPhones, choose WhatsApp Manager > Go to WhatsApp Transfer > Confirm the source device and the target device > Click Transfer Now.
3. View the notes on the pop-up window > If everything is OK, click Confirm. > If asked, enter your passcode to start the transfer.
During the transfer, please do not unplug your iPhones. When the transfer is complete, follow the on-screen prompts on the target iPhone to do some settings and then you can enjoy WhatsApp.
📝 FoneTool also supports WhatsApp backup. If you do not want to backup WhatsApp to iCloud or want to view WhatsApp backup on computer, you can choose Backup WhatsApp to backup WhatsApp from iPhone to PC.
When the backup is done, you can click View button to check the backup. When you want to restore WhatsApp, just click the Restore button.
📝 FoneTool also can help you transfer other types of data. If needed, you can go to Phone Transfer to transfer the files you need to new iPhone.
Way 3. How to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone from iCloud backup
iCloud can help us back up all content and settings on iPhone including WhatsApp chats. If you have created an iCloud backup that contains the WhatsApp messages you need, then you can choose to restore WhatsApp chats from iCloud backup.
However, you should be aware of the disadvantages of this method:
- It will erase all existing data on your iPhone.
- It will restore the entire iPhone backup, not only the WhatsApp.
If you don’t mind, let’s see how to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone from iCloud backup.
Step 1. Backup your iPhone to iCloud
Connect your iPhone to WiFi > Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turn on the backup option and tap Back Up Now to create a backup immediately.
Step 2. Erase your iPhone
Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap Erase All Content and Settings > Enter your passcode to confirm.
Step 3. Restore iCloud backup
Set up your iPhone until you access the data transfer screen > Choose Restore from iCloud Backup and choose the backup you need.
Way 4. How to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone via iTunes
Just like iCloud, iTunes can help us backup the entire iPhone. So you can first backup iPhone to iTunes and then restore the backup to the target iPhone. You can take advantage of iTunes to restore WhatsApp chats on new iPhone. But be aware that it transfers other data as well.
Step 1. Backup old iPhone with iTunes
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes from Apple website or Microsoft Store.
- Launch iTunes and plug in your iPhone.
- Click the Device icon > Go to Summary > Select This Computer > Click Back Up Now.
Step 2. Restore iTunes backup to iPhone
- Set up your new iPhone until you see the data transfer screen > Select Restore from Mac or PC.
- Plug in your new iPhone to computer > Go to Summary in iTunes > Choose Restore Backup > Select the backup file and click Restore to confirm.
Way 5. How to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone from Google Drive
On an iPhone, users can only backup WhatsApp to iCloud. If you have a backup saved in Google Drive, is it possible to restore that backup on iPhone? Fortunately, the answer is YES. One software called AppTrans can help you restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone from Google Drive.
1. Launch AppTrans and plug in your iPhone.
2. Choose App Restore > Click Restore under WhatsApp Backup.
3. Go to your Google account > Download the backup and click View.
4. Then follow the on-screen prompts to choose the files you need and restore them to iPhone.
That’s all about how to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone. In most cases, you can back up WhatsApp with iCloud and restore that backup. When you have no backup, you can use FoneTool to help you transfer WhatsApp to new iPhone directly. If you want to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone from Google Drive, AppTrans can do you a favor.
FoneTool - All-in-one iPhone Data Manager
Transfer, backup and manage data on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in an easy way.
- iOS 17 Compatible
- iPhone 15 Supported