Can I backup WhatsApp to Google Drive instead of iCloud?
My iCloud storage is almost full but I do not want to buy more space. Is there a way to backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive instead of iCloud?
- Question from Reddit
iPhone uses iCloud as the default WhatsApp backup solution. However, iCloud is not a good choice for you. Maybe you are like this user and don't have enough space to backup WhatsApp chats in iPhone. Then you think of Google Drive, which offers 15GB of free storage space.
However, it seems that there is no option for you to back up your chats to Google Drive. Can you backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud? Just keep reading to learn more.
Can you backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive instead of iCloud?
Google Drive is one of the best cloud storage services in the world. However, it does not work so easily on iOS devices and you can only backup photos, videos and contacts to Google Drive. In short, there is no option to help you backup iPhone WhatsApp to Goolge Drive directly.
So, iPhone WhatsApp backup to Google Drive instead of iCloud is impossible? Not exactly. Although you can’t backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive directly, there are two workarounds. You can take advantage of Gmail or WhatsApp transfer tool to backup iPhone WhatsApp to Googel Drive.
How to backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud
There are two ways that can help you backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud. You can read first and choose one to follow according to your situation.
Way 1. Backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive instead of iCloud - using Gmail
To backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive, you can first export chats to Gmail and then upload chats to Google Drive. Below are some points you should know before you get started.
● Gmail is able to backup WhatsApp chats, images, videos, and attachments to Google Drive.
● You can only export one conversation at a time. If you want to backup several chats, please repeat the steps.
● You can export WhatsApp chats to Gmail but you can not transfer the chats from Gmail to WhatsApp.
Now let’s start to see how to backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud using Gmail.
Step 1. Export WhatsApp to Gmail
- Open WhatsApp on iPhone > Open the chat you want to backup to Google Drive.
- Tap the name of the chat > On the new screen, choose Export Chat option > Then choose to export the chat with or without media. If you want to backup photos or videos in the chat, please choose Attach Media.
- Choose Mail option > Enter your email address and send it to yourself.
Step 2. Backup WhatsApp to Google Drive
Check the email on iPhone or computer > Select the chat and then choose the Google Drive icon to save WhatsApp to Google Drive. (Make sure you have downloaded Google Drive on your device.)
Way 2. Backup iPhone WhatsApp to Google Drive instead of iCloud - using transfer tool
Another way to backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud is using WhatsApp transfer tool like WhatsMover. You can first backup WhatsApp from iPhone to PC and then upload the chats to Google Drive. This is a good choice if you want to backup all WhatsApp chats to Google Drive.
Step 1. Transfer WhatsApp chats from iPhone to computer
- Download, install and launch WhatsMover > Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable.
- Click Back Up WhatsApp on Devices option on the left pane and then click Back Up to confirm.
- Click Done when you see WhatsApp Messenger Backup Successful message > Then you can go to the backup location to check your WhatsApp.
Step 2. Backup WhatsApp chats to Google Drive
You can backup WhatsApp to Google Drive via drive.google.com or the client.
- Open a browser and go to drive.google.com > Login to your account.
- Go to My Drive > Choose Upload files or Upload folder > Select your WhatsApp chats exported before.
If you have installed Google Drive app on your computer, then you can drag the WhatsApp backup into the Google Drive folder to make it.
That’s all about how to backup WhatsApp iPhone to Google Drive instead of iCloud. There is no direct way to save WhatsApp from iPhone to Google Drive but you can take advantage of Gmail or WhatsApp transfer tool to achieve the goal. If you want to backup all chats quickly, then transfer tool is a better choice.
FoneTool Can Do More for You
- Manage Phone Data In One Place
- iPhone Transfer
- iPhone Backup
- iPhone Data Recovery
- Erase iPhone Data
- HEIC Converter
- Photo Duplication
- WhatsApp Backup and Transfer
- FoneTool is Compatible with All iOS
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max),
- iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus,
- iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad